Canoe – part 4
I’ve been negligent in wrapping this up….but here’s the next stage, finishing up the hull itself.
I out last episode, we had finished up the one side and now we’ll close it all up.
Before we close up the other side, we’ve got to trim down the first side to get a nice clean line to work with. Nothing too scientific here, for the most part we eye-balled the parts around the stems and laid a strip down the keel-line to mark off the center. Getting the keel-line straight isn’t necessary yet, since we’ll be fine tuning it later on.
With the one side cleaned up, we repeat the process on the other side and work in towards the keel. The difficult part here was as we got down the bottom of the hull, where we had to trim pieces to fit properly. This involved a lot of clamping, cursing and trial and error as we didn’t want to cut them too short or at the wrong angle.
This was about the time when I felt a bit of panic. The keel doesn’t line up nicely and there are literally hundreds of holes in my boat…mostly from the staples. I did not feel confident that this was going to float that well….maybe make a nice sprinkler system if I string it up over the veggie patch…
The keel area looked pretty rough with the loosely joined edges.
All was not lost….we then cut a strip for the keel-line and tacked it in place to mark the area that it would go. We marked it, removed the strip and cut out the excess wood very very slowly and carefully. This part we wanted a good fit for.
It looks a bit loose in the picture, but it’s actually quite a tight fit.
The last step in the hull construction was the clean up the stems and put the outer stems in place. Cleaning up the stems with spokeshaves and planes was pretty timeconsuming, but in the end it turned out to be pretty good.
We attached the previously bent stems and glued and screwed them in place.
Lastly, we cut off the screw heads, cleaned them up and epoxied over the ends.
In our next episode things get very very very dusty….