Countdown to Woodworking in America
Only one week left before immersing myself in all that is woodworking. I never expected the degree to which this event has amped up my anticipation. I have been so preoccupied with dreaming about the event that I have done pretty much nothing of value out in the workshop, instead favouring hours of time online.
Online? Strange as it may seem, there are a few aspects of this event that seem to keep me tied to a computer for hours on end.
- Reading and re-reading the workshop descriptions and pondering what I want to get out of them
- Vendors, vendors and more vendors….should those S’s be $’s? Yes, like a kid with the Sears Christmas Wish Book in December…I drool over handplanes that are worth more than my car, ponder how much money is involved in making me a better woodworker…the correlation of tool cost to skill is exponential is it not?
- Keeping up with the general buzz around the online woodworking community. While maybe not everyone is going…everyone is talking about going and wants to go.
So, tonight I have to get myself off the couch and into the workshop, even if it is to dig around in the scrap bin for the Scrap Exchange that is being planned online.
I am in between projects right now and am justifying not doing much on a new project until after my skills have reached new heights from all the skill I will develop through osmosis at WIA….and of course from the new tools I’ll come home with.
Apart from a laundry list of shiny new tools which in reality will be much shorter once reality hit$, I do have some concrete objectives that I hope to get out of this trip.
- I’m new to most hand tool techniques (watched too much Norm and not enough Roy) – but I want to see how the basics are done and try to incorporate as much of them into my next project as I can
- Design – understanding the way that one applies design methodologies and get a better handle on the creative process
- Above all else, meet up with and generally harrass as many of these other crazy woodworkers who are spending entirely too much time online, but loving it nonetheless.
Just a few more sleeps…..maybe enough time to grow a beard.