Bench slabs done!
There really isn’t a whole lot to say about this part, so this is going to be pretty short. In the last post I added the tail vise to the front slab, which more or less finishes it off. The rear slab is a solid chunk of maple, which I had already planed flat. All that really remained for this was to clean up the sides of the slab. I actually thought this was going to be harder than it turned out to be. I did the majority of the work with my jack plane, getting the edges square to the surface of the slab. The rest was just final cleanup with my #6 jointer. In all, both sides took me somewhere on the order of 1/2 hour to clean up.
The rear slab is longer than the front slab right now and I’m going to leave it that way until I get the base ready. I figure this gives me a little room for error in lining up the two slabs. Get the front slab in, then I can trim the rear slab square once it is in place.
When the base is ready I’ll be able to cut the mortises that will receive the legs and route the groove for the sliding deadman. Since I’m going to use both sides I figure I’ll route both slabs to receive the deadman in the event that I want to use it on either side. After that I will be installing the face vise on the rear slab.