One factor in moving was having space for my workshop. I had hoped for a two car garage but this wasn’t in the cards. Instead I settled for a single car garage 10′ by 20′. I knew I would do everything I could to make this a dedicated space, and for the most part that has been the result. I have very high ceilings, so I’m able to take advantage of storage space up above that doesn’t interfere with the flow of the workshop. Before I could really think about shop setup or layout I had to deal with the floor. The floor was gravel so the first order of business was getting a slab poured.
Years ago my world of woodworking opened up significantly when I began using lumber that came from a mill. What was the big difference? I could mill the wood! I had bought a planer and jointer and could now clean up all that beautiful rough sawn lumber in seemingly endless varieties and dimensions. I believe this type of milestone has happened once again. This time, it also has to do with milling lumber, but in this instance it has to do with resawing. I have struggled with resawing lumber into thinner panels and veneers for most of my woodworking journey. I have tried aggressive rip saws, table saws and yes, my puny little bandsaw that just isn’t quite strong enough for the task on anything but pine and basswood….on a good day. (more…)
Czeck Edge tools (see the link to the right) has a number of kits for making some basic essential marking tools. I picked up kits for the scratch awl, large marking knife and medium marking knife. A while ago I posted about the design that I would use for the handles, as essentially these kits are each turning projects to make a handle and glue in the pieces.
The process for each is more or less the same. Get an appropriately sized blank, drill a hole for the blade to be glued into, turn a shoulder for the ferrule the sit on and then shape handle itself. Once you’re done turning, you just epoxy the blade and ferrule in place. Easy peasey. (more…)
With all the components completed and assembled, I used the bench for a little while to see what I might have missed or if there was anything else I needed to do before applying a finish. The only thing I noticed was that some of the tool marks from the router flattening of the top had been a bit more obvious than I had thought. A bit of light sanding took care of that and I was on to ‘finishing’. (more…)