With all the components completed and assembled, I used the bench for a little while to see what I might have missed or if there was anything else I needed to do before applying a finish. The only thing I noticed was that some of the tool marks from the router flattening of the top had been a bit more obvious than I had thought. A bit of light sanding took care of that and I was on to ‘finishing’. Read the rest of this page »
Ever since I heard and read Chris Schwarz talking about how a workbench should hold just about anything that you are going to build and do so in a way that lets you work on all sides of the piece, I was sold on the sliding deadman. Sounds grim, but it’s way cooler than saying that you installed a board jack.
I’ve gone a little off the deep end here by making two sliding deadmen and putting one on each side of the bench. I doubt I’ll need to have two at once, but given that I might have someone else working at the same time, or possibly working on multiple parts at one time, I thought it best to go for it. Read the rest of this page »
Some people will tell you that they hate tool trays. They call them mean things like Hamster traps and blame them for hiding tools from them and causing them to throw out tools along with wood shavings that accumulate in the tray. Pshaw! They’re also the same kind of people who will claim that a shelf under the workbench will just accumulate junk and become a dumping ground for lazy woodworkers. In my mind they have just admitted that they are lazy and have no self control. Just sayin’. Read the rest of this page »
I took some pictures of this step, but they mysteriously got removed from the computer. Sad day since I wanted to share the masses of sawdust that were created during this process, but alas it was not to be.
I was extremely careful to keep all of the lumber stickered and weighted down, even the slabs after I had milled them to final size. So, it was rather annoying to say the least when I found out that my front slab had a little bit of a twist in it after being assembled onto the base. I thought my ‘flattening’ step was going to be a non-issue. Not so! Read the rest of this page »